How to Control:
- Introduce biocontrol agents wherever possible.
- Hand pull seedlings and very small plants.
- Cut stump application: Cut down low and treat stump with (2g metsulfuron/1L water ), or (100ml Tordon Brushkiller®/1L water) , or Vigilant® gel, or (100ml triclopyr/1L water), or (250ml glyphosate + 10ml penetrant/1L water).
- Frill and Fill: Make a deep cuts into the sapwood at regular intervals around the base of the tree, taking care not to ring-bark the plant. Immediately saturate each cut with undiluted Tordon Brushkiller®. Extra care must be taken when using undiluted herbicide. Best done in autumn.
- Drill & fill: Drill (c.10mm drill bit) sloping holes into the sapwood at 10cm intervals around trunk, at or near ground level, and fill immediately with undiluted Tordon Brushkiller® . Extra care is required when working with undiluted herbicides. Best done in autumn.
- Spray all year round (5g metsulfuron+10ml penetrant/10L water), or (25ml Tordon Brushkiller®/10L water), or (100ml glyphosate + 20ml penetrant/10L water). Only use glyphosate spray when all vegetation on site is to be removed for replanting (generally not required).
- Spray in spring-summer with (200ml triclopyr +10ml penetrant/10L water).
When spraying, ensure total coverage to the point of running off both leaves & stems.
Do not burn or graze. Sites with appropriate tall forest spp. present can usually be left to be overtopped; can speed by selective slashing, stump swabbing or planting. Check road gravel & fill.
CAUTION: when using any herbicide or pesticide PLEASE READ THE LABEL THOROUGHLY to ensure that all instructions and safety requirements are followed.
Click here for more information on the herbicides referenced in the control methods, or here for more information on the suggested techniques.
For more information and pictures of this weed check out the Weedbusters info page.