How to Control:
- Pull or dig out small plants. Leave somewhere dry to mulch.
- Fell at ground level below the lowest branch. Check for branches below soil level. Stems occasionally resprout, make sure there are absolutely no green needles below the cut.
- Cut & stump application: Cut and treat stump immediately with (1g metsulfuron/ L) or (50ml Tordon Brushkiller® /1L water) or (50ml triclopyr/1L water) or Vigilant gel.
- Frill and Fill: Cut deep notchs into the sapwood at 15cm intervals around the base of the tree, taking care not to ring-bark the plant. Immediately fill each cut with (1g metsulfuron+10ml penetrant/1L water), or (50ml Tordon Brushkiller®/1L water), or (50ml triclopyr/1L water)
- Drill & fill: Drill (c.10mm drill bit) sloping holes into the sapwood at 10cm intervals around trunk, at or near ground level, and fill each hole immediately with (20g metsulfuron /1L water – 2ml per hole). Undiluted Tordon Brushkiller® (10ml per hole) can also be used but extra care is required when working with undiluted herbicdes.
- Spray in summer with (100ml glyphosate/10L water) or (5g metsulfuron/10L water) or (60ml Tordon Brushkiller®/10L water).
Stems can be left to mulch but do occasionally resprout. Avoid fire. Plant shady species to inhibit germination. Create wide shelter belt adjacent to plantations where infestations occur. Discourage germination (& encourage native spp.) by maintaining deep humus layer. Exclude livestock.
Caution: when using any herbicide or pesticide PLEASE READ THE LABEL THOROUGHLY to ensure that all instructions and safety requirements are followed.