How to Control:
- Slash tops: Leave on site to rot down. Dig out tubers, dry and burn or bury deeply.
- Cut stump application: Cut stems and treat with (1g metsulfuron + 100ml glyphosate + 10ml penetrant/1L water). Leave cut stems on site to rot down.
- Weed wipe (1g metsulfuron + 150ml glyphosate + 10ml penetrant/1L water).
- Overall spray Jun – Sept with (3g metsulfuron + 150ml glyphosate + 10ml penetrant/10L water). Two applications may be required early in the season to prevent flowering, then later to control daughter rhizomes.
- Overall spray in spring – late autumn (5g metsulfuron + 10ml penetrant/10L water).
Chemical control is best done in late summer when wet areas are dry as metsulfuron must not be used over water. Follow-up treatment is essential.
Begin clearance at top of catchment. Digging usually leaves root fragments and dropped tuber pieces which resprout. Small infestations may be left untreated where regeneration to dense forest is occurring, however removal of arum will increase native seedling establishment rate. Mowing gives no control.
Caution: when using any herbicide or pesticide PLEASE READ THE LABEL THOROUGHLY to ensure that all instructions and safety requirements are followed.